2.12.2011

rev-ewe 3: Water Lilies

Water Lilies
France
Celine Sciamma


While it could be that I am secretly a lesbian and love this movie's play on subtle lesbian curiosities, I still think this movie is a great French film. If the lack of a real story or movement of a conflict is something of interest, then this film is pretty on point. It may not be as out there as other French films may be, it still has the same pace and feel. Slow, meticulous.
The film focuses on a girl named Marie who goes to watch a synchronized swim competition that her best friend Anne is in. While watching another, better team perform, the team captain (Floriane) sparks her interest. Marie tries to get close with Floriane by asking if she can get tips on how to get into synchronized swimming, and Floriane sees it as an excuse to use her to get out of the house and meet up with boys. Anne, on the other hand, is desperately trying to get the attention of a boy from the water polo team. A very simple film about growing up and learning what it is to want to be with someone.
I really can't explain why else I like it except that it relaxes me and offers an interesting perspective into all sorts of sexualities. The characters are easy to get to know and while Anne can be kind of annoying, it's a good contradiction to Marie who is as low-key a character as possible..

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.
Worth watching, nicely put together, nothing original or outstanding, but I really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment